Below are the most common investment avenues under Chapter VIA:
- Premia paid on life insurance.
- Employee contributions to the provident fund.
- Investment in Mutual Funds.
- Investment in Equity Linked Security Scheme.
- Fixed deposit, not less than 5 years, with a scheduled bank.
- Repayment of Housing Loan (Principal Amount).
- Investment in Public Provident Fund.
- Investment in National Pension Scheme.
- Interest paid for educational loan.
- Interest on deposit in saving account, FD's, Post office and Cooperative Society.
- Medical Insurance Premium for Self/ Parents/Spouse/dependent children.
- Medical Insurance Premium or any medical expense paid for by an assessee for a dependent with more than 40% or 80% of severe disability. Here dependents include spouse, children, parents, brothers, and sisters of the individual or any of them.
- Any medical expense paid for by an assessee for himself or for a dependent for a specified disease. Here dependents include spouse, children, parents, brothers, and sisters of the individual or any of them.
- Donations under section 80G for any social cause or donation to any political party but to an extent of 50% or 100%, as provided by law.