Remote automatically pre-fills 1099-NEC forms for US-based companies with eligible US-based contractors at the beginning of January and sends an email notification to company admins when the forms are available on the platform.
Note that form 1099-NEC is generated based on the following criteria:
- Company is based in the US, and its billing currency is USD.
- Contractor is based in the US
- Contractor was paid more than USD 600 in the previous tax year via the Remote platform.
For general guidance and filing information on the form 1099-NEC, please see: What is the 1099-NEC tax form and how can I get one?
To review and update the 1099-NEC forms as well as to distribute them to your contractors:
- On the 1st of January, check your email inbox or Remote dashboard. Once your 1099-NEC forms are ready, you will see a notification:
- Click on the notification or Review 1099-NEC in your email. You will see the list of all US-based contractors who were paid more than USD 600 in the previous year. You can also see the pre-filled 1099-NEC forms by clicking on Documents - 1099-NEC Forms:
- From here, you can view, download, and verify for accuracy each 1099-NEC form.
- If some of your payments to the contractor were not recorded by Remote, you can add them by clicking Edit compensation under the three-dot menu. Add Compensation outside Remote for any external payments and click Save. This will generate a new 1099-NEC with the updated total compensation.
- Once reviewed, you can send 1099-NEC forms to your contractors, one by one, or in bulk.
Note that sending the form finalizes it: any further changes would have to be managed outside of Remote and you will have to distribute any updated versions to your contractors separately.
- Clicking Send will distribute a copy of the 1099-NEC to your contractor(s). Please note that you must furnish each eligible contractor with a 1099-NEC before January 31st.
- You will always be able to view finalized 1099-NEC forms under Documents → Tax Management.