Given the conflict situation in Ukraine, the Portuguese government has created several services and programmes to support Portuguese and Ukrainian citizens who are already in Portugal or who are moving to the country.
A special welcome program has been created for Ukrainian citizens coming to Portugal, which includes several measures under the temporary protection regime. This regime allows the automatic attribution of a temporary residence permit and a temporary protection title, among other benefits.
The Portuguese State has granted the temporary protection regime to people displaced from Ukraine because of the conflict situation in the country.
The temporary protection regime covers:
- Ukrainian citizens and their relatives who cannot return to their country because of the war situation.
- citizens of other nationalities who are relatives, relations, spouses or unmarried partners of Ukrainian citizens who also cannot return to Ukraine for the same reason.
- any third-country national or stateless person and their family members enjoying international protection in Ukraine.
- any third country national or stateless person, living in Ukraine, who cannot return to his or her country of origin.
Under this regime, a Temporary Protection Title is granted, which automatically includes:
- A Temporary Residence Permit
- A Tax Identification Number (NIF)
- A Social Security Identification Number (NISS)
- A National Health Service (SNS) user number.
These identification numbers give access to various services, such as healthcare in public facilities, and enrollment in job offers, among others.
See also the Social Security guide on how to access the various social protection benefits.
Applications can be submitted online, at a CNAIM centre, or at a port of entry.