An off cycle payment is a one-off payment outside of the regular payroll run for that country. We implemented this process to make allowance for onboardings and missed incentives, or approved expenses that were inputted before the payroll cutoff. Not all countries allow off cycle payments.
See also: What does the payroll cutoff mean?
At Remote we have a global payroll cutoff on the 11th of the month, 11:59 PM UTC. We only run off cycle payments in countries where we have a monthly payroll run (in specific cases, we’ll run an off cycle in countries where we have a semi-monthly payroll).
Note: We have an exception in Bulgaria & Germany. The payroll cutoff date in Bulgaria is the 1st of the month and not 11th while the payroll cutoff in Germany is different each month.
Criteria for off cycle payments
- New hires who are onboarded between the 12th-24th of the month will automatically be enrolled (at no additional cost) in an off cycle payroll run if they meet the criteria.
See also: When will the employee get paid if they’re onboarded after the payroll cutoff?
- Missed incentives and approved expenses that were submitted before the 11th of the month. For example, an incentive of $400 is inputted for an employee on the 8th of June. When the employee gets paid on the 25th of June, this incentive was not included because we mistakenly missed it. If an off cycle is raised before the 27th of June (the off cycle deadline) this will be included in an off cycle payroll run. This means the employee will receive the incentive on the 10th of July.
- Sign-on bonuses will be processed with the new hire’s pay if due and agreed on in their contract. Such an incentive must be submitted on or before the 11th of the month.
- If the payment has been missed but has a legal requirement to be paid by a certain date, it will be processed. Examples of such payments are:
- Relocation or sign-on bonuses due to be paid X days after start date
- Court-mandated compensation payments
- Termination payments. This will have to be mentioned in the termination letter as it is not applicable in all cases.
- Hardship - Employees who have received an incorrect deduction such as 2 weeks unpaid leave in error which would cause financial hardship.
The deadline for all off cycle payment requests that meet the criteria is the 27th of the month, 11:59 PM UTC. Any requests after this date will be rejected and paid in the next payroll cycle.